A personal history essay can either be written for fun, publication, or even as a college essay assignment. In either case, the paper shows how past experiences have affected and moulded the character of the current person you are.
What is a Personal History Essay?
It is a formal piece of writing referring to events in a person’s past. It includes information such as the social, cultural, and academic background of a person. It reflects how occurrences in the past changed a person. In most cases, a personal history essay is written by students when applying to a new institution. Its main purpose is to help the school or admission committee understand your background, current habits, and lifestyle.
What do I Write in a Personal History Paper?
As mentioned earlier, write about your social, cultural, and academic background, which include information such as;
- Places you have lived.
- Schools you have attended
- Influential individuals from your childhood.
- Jobs you have had
- Significant happenings in your life.
- Your co-curricular activities.
- Your religious views.
- Your hobbies.
- Membership in clubs and organizations.
- The most difficult things you’ve ever done or gone through
Like most other essays, a personal history essay has three main parts.
- An introduction – Any essay should have a compelling introduction. The personal history essay makes this rule more firm because it’s a reflection of oneself. Whatever you write could be taken to reflect your attributes.
- Body – The body is where you write all the information about the description. Only add relevant information about yourself. Avoid junking your essay with information that is not significant to the purpose. List both negatives and positives. Connect all your achievements and failures to specific life events.
- Conclusion – Conclude your essay with an overview of what you have written.
How to Format a Personal History Essay
Here is a brief way on personal history essay format structure:
- Paragraphs should be single-spaced, separated by a line.
- The essay should be two pages, approximately 500 words.
- Use plain font. Avoid curly fonts as they make your essay look informal.
- Include a header with your name and page number on each page.
- Use simple language and avoid grammatical and typing errors.
- Have an attention-grabbing introduction paragraph.
How to Write a Personal History Essay
Writing a personal history essay is probably an activity that everyone has to do at a point in their lives.
How to start a Personal History Essay
All essays start with an introduction. A personal history essay is no exception. Begin with an introduction about yourself. State the reason you are writing the essay. Also, let the reader know the type of information you have given in the body paragraphs.
Try compiling stories by topic rather than starting chronologically. If you write your history year by year, it can be too long.
Best Tips When Writing a Personal History Essay Introduction.
- Keep your sentences short.
- Do not repeat the title. Instead, describe who you are and why you are applying.
- Explain the importance of your essay.
- Using a sentence or two, articulate what the paper covers.
- Use a related phrase to increase the aesthetic value of the introduction.
How to End a Personal History Essay
Most students find writing a personal history essay easy until you get to the end of your paper. In your conclusion include;
- A summary – Point out the main parts of the paper that you would want to emphasize.
- Put the information about things you expect of yourself in the future.
- Mention the way you are planning to use your life lessons in pursuing and accomplishing your goals or plans.
- Let the reader know what you expect from them after reading the essay.
How to Write a Powerful Personal Essay Conclusion
- Stick to what you had previously described. Do not introduce any new concepts.
- Be specific in detail.
- Use simple language and keep your sentences short.
- Describe your medium and long- term goals.
- Keep your conclusion short and precise.
How to Choose a Topic for a Personal History Essay
Consider your background for your history essay. Here are some tips to guide you in choosing a topic for your essay.
- Steer from conventional topics.
- Pick a topic that you can relate to from your past.
- Identify the purpose of the essay and pick a topic that would suit the purpose.
- Pick a topic that would suit your audience.
- Choose a topic whose information you are willing to share.
Writing a personal history essay is usually time-consuming. It needs a lot of effort too. Make sure you give yourself enough preparation time then follow this guide. Have fun as you write your paper.