A nursing reflective essay is a paper by nurses as a general report of what they learnt or found out during their internship. It is a requirement at the end of your internship.
The essay comprises the daily routine of a nurse, the tasks carried out, the processes involved, lessons learnt, and the impact it had on them. You also analyze the organization structure of the institution you were working at, in this case, the hospital, and suggest improvements, if any.
Nursing Reflective Essay Structure
As a nurse, a nurse reflective essay is a platform where you pour out your view on the practice. You give your supervisor, or reader for that matter, the insights into your experiences as an intern.
Like other forms of essays and academic pieces, it includes:
An introduction equips the reader with information about what you will be discussing. It answers these questions.
- What’s the reason for writing this?
- What is written in the body?
- Why should I read the essay?
As such, the introduction has three sections to answer these questions. These sections are;
- The topic sentences. In other cases, it is called the thesis statement.
- The relevance of the essay. This tells the reason for writing and the reason the audience should read.
- A hook. It is a catchy sentence, usually a quote, phrase, rhetorical question, an amazing fact, or a disapproval of a commonly assumed idea. It is meant to make the reader interested in the rest of the paper. It should be relevant/ connected to the paper.
Like most other essays is the longest part of the paper. It consists of all the information you will want to convey.
It breaks into paragraphs that include;
- An overview of the daily routine of a nurse. Describe the daily assignments of a nurse and how they carry them out. Base your essay on experiences or observations made.
- Describe the beauty of being a nurse. If you have any relinquishing moments as a nurse, it is time to put them down. I believe nursing is not that boring. Sometimes you have had some good days. They add to the aesthetic value of your essay.
- Share the challenges of nursing. Everything that has pros has cons too, and nursing conforms to those rules. You do not want to seem biased by writing about the pros only. Highlight the challenges nurses go through and how they walk through them.
Summarize the main points of the essay in this section. Avoid introducing any new information. Restate the topic sentence in different words. Also, add a call of action for your paper. A call to action is an invitation for the reader to take some desired action that the writer suggests.
Nursing Reflective Essay Example
In this reflective essay, I will explore an incident that occurred during my clinical placement in a healthcare setting. I will reflect on my actions, feelings and thoughts during the event, and how my experiences impacted my learning and future practice as a nurse.
Description of the Incident:
During my clinical placement, I was assigned to care for a patient with a chronic respiratory illness. The patient had been admitted to the hospital for an exacerbation of their condition and required continuous oxygen therapy. The patient was experiencing difficulty breathing, and their oxygen saturation levels were low. I was responsible for administering medication, monitoring the patient’s vital signs, and providing emotional support.
One day, the patient’s condition deteriorated, and they were struggling to breathe. I felt overwhelmed and anxious, unsure of what to do. I immediately called for help from my supervisor and informed them of the patient’s condition. The supervisor arrived promptly and took over the care of the patient. I felt relieved that the patient was receiving the necessary care, but I also felt disappointed in myself for not being able to handle the situation.
Upon reflection, I realize that my lack of experience and knowledge in dealing with patients with chronic respiratory illnesses contributed to my anxiety and uncertainty during the incident. I had never encountered a patient in such a critical condition before, and I did not know how to respond appropriately. I also felt overwhelmed by the responsibility placed on me to care for the patient and ensure their safety.
As a result of this incident, I have learned the importance of seeking help and support when faced with unfamiliar or challenging situations. I now understand that it is okay to admit my limitations and ask for assistance when necessary. I have also recognized the importance of ongoing learning and professional development to improve my knowledge and skills as a nurse.
Impact on Future Practice:
This incident has had a significant impact on my future practice as a nurse. I now approach each patient encounter with a greater sense of awareness and preparedness. I make a conscious effort to stay informed and up-to-date with the latest medical knowledge and techniques to provide the best possible care for my patients. I have also learned the importance of self-reflection and ongoing self-evaluation to identify areas for improvement and ensure that I am meeting the needs of my patients.
In conclusion, this reflective essay has allowed me to reflect on an incident that occurred during my clinical placement and to explore its impact on my learning and future practice as a nurse. Through this reflection, I have gained a greater understanding of the importance of seeking help and support when faced with challenging situations, the value of ongoing learning and professional development, and the significance of self-reflection and self-evaluation in improving my practice as a nurse.
Nursing Reflective Essay Outline Example
A. Background information
B. Purpose of the reflection
C. Thesis statement
II. Description of the Experience
A. Setting and context
B. Participants involved
C. Objective facts
III. Personal Thoughts and Feelings
A. Subjective experience
B. Personal reactions and emotions
C. Critical reflection
IV. Analysis of the Experience
A. Evaluation of the situation
B. Exploration of different perspectives
C. Discussion of implications for nursing practice
A. Summary of key points
B. Lessons learned C. Future implications
A. Supporting literature
B. Relevant resources
Tis is a sample nursing reflective paper outline to get you started. Remember that you can buy reflective essay fast and securely for more elaborate samples.
Choosing a Nursing Reflection Essay Topics
Before you begin writing a nursing reflective essay, it is wise to choose a topic that you have good knowledge of. It will allow you to create a comprehensive argument that will build the points you state.
Choosing a topic for your nursing reflective essay can be difficult. These examples should guide you.
- The Life of a Nurse.
- Midwifery and New-born Baby Care.
- A Day in a Nurse’s Shoes.
- All That Goes on in a Hospital.
- Prevention of Illness and Promotion of Health
- Introduction to the Nursing World.
- Who Takes Care of Nurses?
- Should the Nurses be Able to Refuse to Work with Offensive Patients?
Steps to Writing a Nursing Reflective Essay.
The path steps that you take towards writing an essay is what dictates whether you end up with a good or poor paper. If you have been having trouble writing your nursing essay, try following these steps.
- Research and collect data from the various sources you can access. You can even have a chat with your colleagues to get a deep insight.
- Choose a topic to write on.
- Create an outline for your paper. It acts as a guide when you are writing the essay.
- Make a draft. Follow the outline and make the 1st sample of your essay.
- Read through and correct any mistakes you identify.
- Write the final copy.
We hope that the information provided in this article is useful. Have an easy time writing your paper. If you are still stuck, seek more guidance from our professional writers.